Wednesday, September 15, 2010

How Important Are Ethics?

Growing up in my house, my parents taught me what was right and what was wrong. I learned my manners, i learned what i should say yes to, and i learned what i should say no to. I was always under the impression that morals and ethics were very important and that you needed them going through life. But as you look around at celebrities, or "our role models", you kind of think that since the way that they act without them, are they really important?

Celebrities are always in the news for getting in trouble. They think that they get a free pass because they are looked up too. Just because you are a celebrity, doesn't mean that you can just break you're probation because you want too or drive drunk because you are loved by so many. Their egos just go through the roof and they feel invincible. Like they can do no wrong. And when young kids see this, they could think that it is okay to do.

The worst case that sticks out in my mind is the Chris Brown and Rihanna case. If any guy in the world thinks that it is okay to do this to a woman then they deserve to be in jail for a very long time. Arguably, the biggest lesson my dad taught me growing up was to not lay hands on a girl ever. And a celebrity can go out and do this and get community service? Any normal average joe gets much worse then that. But since it is a celebrity doing it, all he needs to do is apologize on television and he is in the clear. When kids see celebrities, such as the ones above, act the way they do, then the ethics and morals of America and around the world go down the drain quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment